Rock Star Josh Home: "Throw your cell phones away"


I don't make a whole show of my work. I don't post online how everything's going in the studio and how great the new album is going to be. Only people who haven't got a lid on their ego do that sort of thing. I keep my music secret for as long as I can, as well as I can.

[...]


You've got to give yourself the freedom to make mistakes in life so that you can learn from them and get better. That's why I find it helpful to work away from the public eye and not constantly put myself on display on social media.

[...]

As a matter of principle, I only make my albums for myself, because there's no way I can force people to like them in any case. All I can do is write songs that I love myself and which keep my passions burning. And if some people say they think it's shit, that's fine.

[...]

If people hate you, it means you're arousing emotions in them and they're not indifferent to you. And that's actually great! Any reaction is better than no reaction. Insofar as the hate is totally OK, I say bring it on.

[...]

What recommendations can you give to  people who want to forge a creative career for themselves?


Throw your cell phones away. Live in the here and now. Enjoy every moment to the fullest. How do you become a great concert pianist if you have to stop every couple of minutes to stare at your screen? My tip is: be creative instead of getting your phone out because you're bored! I'm so happy I grew up in the desert, because it boosted my creativity. There was so little to do in your spare time that you had to come up with things yourself so as not to go crazy. My solution was to create my first band, Kyuss [in 1987]. We were a group of kids who decided to make a racket because we were bored. And, believe me, in the long term that gives you a lot more than posting pictures of your breakfast on Instagram.