The system is the leverage of success

In one course* marks assign to me by choosing three points of what a guest speaker mentioned about his or her field of activity and it is my choice which points I would like to analyse and to describe the theory behind it. Till now I have done some assignments and my experiences are:
1. I could enhance my knowledge in this area in which I would like working later
2. I did not learn unusable stuffs.
3. I enjoy it and at the same time a enhance my knowledge


Another example about how dominant could be a system was made in a German bank. Sometime in the seventies the objective for each local branch was, open as much as possible new saving bank books. The result was, when a customer would save e. g. 20,000 Deutsche Mark, a success orientated staff member opened 4 accounts with each 5,000 Deutsche Mark. In the end of the day, the seeming most effective branches caused the highest process costs. Later in the nineties the same bank sold products for internet access like an ISP (pay per minute). In the end of the year this branch with the highest product selling’s got incentives, but it doesn’t matter that they sold the product to ninety years old grandmothers or to non-active users. So the bests caused once again the highest process costs, for nothing. And the real most effective branch got nothing, quite the contrary.


Do you agree? Do you know other examples, how a system (environment) could affect people and so the result of success?


* 'MKTG 1115', 'Colloquium in Contemporary Marketing and Logistics Practices'. In each lesson there is a guest speaker from different companies and give us a lecture on his field of activity.